Silent-Yachts, Solar-Powered Electric Catamaran
The all-electric catamaran, a more than interesting choice.
For all sorts of reasons or motivations, you want a yacht that requires nothing more than the sun and even the wind to move around, well that’s what the manufacturer SILENT-YACHTS offers you.
Of course, a generator is on board (in case of need) but everything is planned for a consumption drawn from the SOLAR.
The manufacturer offers several choices of catamarans, but this article will focus on the 60′ model which is the entry level of the range. In fact, the 60 model is nominated for the year 2023 after having already received several other coveted mentions previously.
It is a class (CE) A yacht and it can even take you across the Atlantic Ocean given its characteristics.
It is presented as an interesting choice if the environment and fuel expenses are your main concerns.
But according to some tests that have been done recently, it is recommended to choose the E-Power + option, sometimes a little more power is useful in certain circumstances, for example for an Inlet with a difficult tidal effect.
But if you are a boater who likes to sail at 13 or 15 kn and above, this type of Catamaran is most likely not for you. You will certainly need to run the generator more often.
The proposed MSRP for the 60′ model is $3 million USD.
Here is the data and the manufacturer’s description for this model:
Silent Yachts presents the first and only ocean going production yachts in the world that are fully sustainable and powered by solar energy. Pure solar-powered luxury.
Silent Yachts was founded on the dream of eliminating the industries effects on the environment without sacrificing the slightest bit of luxury. The future of luxury yachting is individualistic, noiseless, self-sufficient and honoring nature and the environment.
Imagine starting every morning with an awe inspiring sunrise and ending the day with a breathtaking sunset! Watch, smell, feel nature and be aware that you take responsibility for the environment.
It is both our philosophy and our commitment to offer the best available solar-powered yachts, uniquely designed and constructed, offering unlimited worldwide range and electric motors capable of achieving speeds of up to 20 knots.
Many years of research and proven use have demonstrated that a Silent yacht can cruise exclusively on solar power for up to 100 miles per day, run all household appliances including air conditioning, permanently.
Range is unlimited with solar powered electric propulsion, therefore more than Transocean-range.
While combustion engines have an energy efficiency of around 30%, electric motors feature an energy efficiency rate of more than 98%. This saves a lot of power and emits significantly less heat.
High levels of luxury require permanently available energy. On a Silent yacht, you can watch TV, enjoy a cold beer, have the air conditioning running and produce up to 2000 liters of drinking water per day without starting the generator.
High-efficiency solar cells and light-weight Lithium-Batteries provide ample energy and charging for the propulsion as well as for all household appliances, e.g. for television, air-conditioning, ice-machine, water-maker, laptop etc.
Silent Yachts has established a partnership with MG Energy Systems to provide energy systems for all models. There are numerous types of lithium batteries on the market. The brand we are using is universally regarded as industry leader with regards safety, performance, weight and life-span.
A diesel generator (range extender) is fitted as a safety back up. If necessary, due to longer periods of bad weather or where extended durations of higher speed is required, will automatically start when the batteries register below 30%, and seamlessly integrates into the charging system.
Maintenance and peace of mind
Due to the lack of “moving Parts” associated with this technology, our yachts are considerably more reliable, and much less expensive to operate and maintain.
- Solar panels fitted to Silent Yachts are zero maintenance and guaranteed for 25 years.
- Lithium batteries are zero maintenance and guaranteed for 8 years.
- The electric motors have a lifetime warranty, and are virtually zero maintenance, with only a set of inexpensive bearings needing to be changed every 50,000 hours of use. When you consider the average yearly usage is 400 – 600 hours, don’t forget to schedule that service call every 80 years.
- Depending on the optional usage of the range extender generator, standard maintenance is required, often on a 100hr basis. One owner recently reported only running their generator for 6 hours, during their transatlantic crossing.
- Electric Motor………Lifetime
- Solar Panels……….25 years
- Batteries……………8 years
- Hull/GRP parts….…5 years
- General Fit/Finish…2 years
All the electrical components are of high industrial quality and are being engineered / built in Europe and the USA.
Motors, inverters and their cables are IP69 certified. This means that they’re rated to work when permanently submerged in highly pressurized water. In comparison to a conventional diesel powered propulsion system an electric motor is far more reliable as the only moving parts are the rotor and its two bearings.
All wiring is tin-coated and all plugs feature a custom design which prevents humidity and water from entering. Additionally, all parts exposed to the marine environment are made of corrosion resistant materials.
Redundancy and Safety
All vital components are redundant to ensure double safety. The configuration of all components makes sure an overload is impossible, deeming the solar-electric drivetrain far safer than conventional propulsion systems. We are also proud to say that our catamarans were the first to be certified according to DIN EN ISO 16315 for the marine operations of electrically powered yachts.
Efficiency and Weight
Underwater lines are optimized by Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) and towing-tank tests. The lightweight construction is a result of bionic design, the use of carbon fibers and high-quality resins.
Interior furniture is made of stiff and lightweight composite plates with real wood-veneer. This reduces the weight significantly to about half the weight of a conventionally constructed and powered yacht.
Each kg/Lb saved is equivalent to less wave drag and friction and therefore less energy required to move the vessel through the water. Overall, this leads to high levels of efficiency enabling fast and self-sustaining propulsion.
Salon and cabins are wrapped in thermal insulation. Furthermore, all windows are shaded by either the roof and/or the hull, thus lowering the energy consumption needed to keep the interior at comfortable temperature levels.
The photovoltaic modules recharge the batteries with a maximum output of 17 kWp and are the main power source of our yachts. We use the most efficient, most advanced and highest quality modules currently available. Their arrangement, the positioning and the regulation of charge are some of the main secrets and reasons why our yachts are able to harvest that much energy from the sun – sufficient to power all household appliances, all devices that you need for your comfort and even the propulsion system.
A new class of yachting is on the rise. Freedom from the need to return to the shore ensures a refreshingly autonomous experience onboard the Silent 60. With solar power and a wide range of options to make untethered cruising a joy, the only reason to enter a marina is to explore exciting new places or pick up local delicacies.
Under way all that can be heard is the gentle swish of water around the hull and the soothing sounds of the natural environment.
Click here for a video presentation made by THE BOAT SHOW.
Click here for another presentation video.
Number of cabins: 3 – 5
Number of bathrooms: 3 – 5
Cruising Speed: 6-8 knots
Max Speed: 20 knots
Beam: 29’ 5”
Displacement: 29 tons
Fuel Tanks #: 2
Fuel Tanks Capacity: 1000 – 1600 L
Fresh Water Tanks #: 2
Fresh Water Tanks Capacity: 1000 – 1600 L
Waste Water – 2 x 132 gal
Certification – A: 12 B: 12 C: 16 D: 20
Navigation Center – Simrad EVO3
Features and Options
- White gel-coat on hull, additional colors available
- Real wood veneer finishes on all interior furniture in a range of woods including walnut, teak, maple and oak
- Range of colours, fabrics and finishes on floors and surfaces
- Cockpit sofa and white tables
- Transom shower with hot and cold water
- Flybridge furniture and table
- Rigid sunroof over flybridge
- Shore power connection with fuse
- Navigation lights
- Anchor and chain
- Fenders and ropes
- Full documentation, handover and commissioning package including CE certificate, launching, antifouling and sailing/technical introduction
- Spectra Farallon 2800 low energy watermaker system
- Additional battery packs, chargers and inverters are available
- Additional fuel tanks for long-range or worldwide cruising
- Coloured or foiled hull
- Wide range of interior and exterior fabrics and finishes
- Household appliances including Corian or stone sink, fridge/freezer and dishwasher
- Real teak bow seats
- Additional sun loungers and cushions
- Artificial teak floor surfaces
- Bose entertainment system
- Additional LED lighting, downlights and underwater lighting
- Boat name in inox letters with LED lighting
- Electric carbon passarelle with remote control
- Additional transom shower
- Hydraulic stern platform as tender lift and bathing platform
- Flybridge furniture and wide choice of finishes
- Retractable sunroof on flybridge
- Higher capacity heating and air-conditioning systems
- Washing machine and dryer
- Additional fresh and waste water storage
- Additional electric outlets
- Shore power cable
- Raymarine navigational packages
- VHF/AIS and radar packages
- Side thrusters and docking systems
- CCTV Raymarine system
- Additional noise insulation for generator
- Anchor and chain upgrades
- Offshore life raft with dedicated storage space
- Additional fenders and ropes
- Air conditioning 64,000 BTU to 100,000 BTU, with reverse cycle heating
SOME PICTURES :
Here are the other Silent-Yachts Electric models:
The Company offers the details of this vessel in good faith but cannot guarantee or warrant the accuracy of this information nor warrant the condition of the vessel. A buyer should instruct his agents, or his surveyors, to investigate such details as the buyer desires validated. This vessel is offered subject to prior sale, price change, or withdrawal without notice. This boat may be listed in partnership with another broker.